If you have a slow cooker at home, you know just how useful these things can be. If you work a busy schedule, you can simply throw everything together before going to work and come home to a delicious meal that’s ready for you and your family. Although we’ve all tried out many of our own chili-style recipes, sometimes you want to try out a new recipe that will bring a little bit of spice and excitement to your routine.
Fortunately, we have a perfect recipe for just that purpose today. Today, we’re going to show you how to make an authentic Southern-style red beans and rice dish, complete with Andouille sausage. Although we usually think of rice and beans as a relatively boring or plain dish, this version is full of spice and flavor. If you make it once, this recipe is sure to become a favorite of yours that you’ll make again and again. So let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound of Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup of diced ham
- 2 16-ounce cans of red beans
- 3 stalks of thinly sliced celery
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 8 cups of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 6 cups of cooked rice
Here’s what you do:
1. To get started, prepare all your veggies and meats by slicing them up and dicing them according to the directions listed above. When everything is ready, throw your sausage, ham, beans, celery, peppers, onions, green onions, chicken stock, paprika, oregano, bay leaves, cayenne pepper and salt together in the slow cooker. Give everything a stir so it’s evenly combined.
2. When everything is in the mix, close the lid on the slow cooker and set it to cook for about six hours on low or about four hours on high.
3. After enough time has passed, open up the slow cooker and check to make sure all the meat has cooked through. If it looks good, scoop the mixture out and serve it all over white rice—add some extra green onions on top as a garnish!
As you can see, the process of actually putting this dish together couldn’t be easier. As with all slow cooker recipes, all you need to do is prepare your ingredients, throw them all together and enjoy it all when it’s done. Even if you’ve had boring rice and beans dishes in the past, this one is sure to change your mind about that.
Although the recipe we’ve given above has plenty of flavor, it’s still relatively light on spice. If you want a little more heat to your meal. you can also add a teaspoon of vinegar-based hot sauce into the mixture when you add your salt in. On the other hand, you could also cut up a few jalapeños and add those into the pot as well. Above all, have fun with this process and let us know how it all turns out!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group
Source: Cooktop Cove