How often do you eat Chinese-style takeout food?
Maybe we can’t truly call the Chinese food we order in America “Chinese” food, but we all know what we’re talking about. While the specifics of each restaurant and dish may vary, there’s a general similarity of sweet and savory flavors alongside one another, a bit of spice and a greasiness that tastes so delicious. Still, constantly ordering in rather than cooking can add up pretty quickly. But what if you could make a copycat dish right at home using your slow cooker?
Fortunately, you can—and the end result tastes incredible.
Today, we’re going to show you how to make a slow cooker Asian-style chicken recipe that you can serve with some fluffy white rice, savory sauce and some delicious vegetable as well. As always, all you really have to do is throw everything together, close it up and come back when it’s done. Once you’ve tried this a few times, we guarantee you’ll want to come back to it again and again. So let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 2 heads baby bok choy, leaves separated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- black pepper and salt to taste
Here’s what you do:
1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, fish sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
2.Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
4. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour the cooking liquid into a large skillet and boil until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Heat the oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the snow peas, bok choy, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic and cook, tossing frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
6. Serve with the chicken; drizzle with the cooking liquid and enjoy!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group