Do you have a favorite summer dessert? Though there’s no one right answer, there are a few general things we look for in these kinds of dishes. Because it’s particularly hot outside, we often want something that’s served cold and feels refreshing—something like a popsicle or a bowl of ice cream, for example. On the other hand, we also lean towards fresh and fruity flavors that remind us of the brightness of the season. Though many popsicles are fruit-flavored, there’s also your fresher berry tarts and cakes. When we can combine as many of these aspects as possible into one recipe, that’s when we have a truly great dessert.
Today, we have a particularly ingenious summer dessert recipe for you that crosses off everything you’ll be looking for. It has fresh fruit, it has a cold and refreshing flavor and it even has a delicious ice cream filling. To top it all off, it also tastes surprisingly light despite how heavy it might look from the outside. That’s right, we’re talking about a frozen strawberries and cream cake that you’re going to love.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large package of strawberries
- 4 large scoops of ice cream (choose your own flavors)
- 1 cup of mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 package of thin gingerbread cookies
- electric beater
- plastic wrap
- rectangular glass cake dish
Here’s what you do:
1. To get started, first lay a sheet of plastic wrap down on your work area. Get your ice cream and take out four large scoops, laying them all in a row in the middle of the plastic. While this cake would work fine with all vanilla, all chocolate or whatever else, you can mix and match your ice creams for whatever you want the filling to be! Working quickly, wrap the plastic around the ice cream and twist the ends, rolling it on the counter so it makes an ice cream tube. Throw the tube in the freezer.
2. Next, chop up a handful of strawberries into fine slices and get out your cake dish. Carefully arrange the slices all around the insides and the bottom of the dish so that strawberries are sticking to all the surfaces.
3. After that, get a large mixing bowl and add in your mascarpone, heavy cream and powdered sugar. Use your electric beater to whip all the ingredients together until it’s all well-incorporated and it forms stiff peaks.
4. Working carefully with a cake spatula, scoop out about half of your creamy mixture and fill the bottom of the cake dish with it in a smooth, even layer. Once it’s in there, take your ice cream roll out of the fridge and carefully place it in the middle of the pan, pushing it down slightly. Add the other half of your cream filling on top and smooth it out to the brim of the dish.
5. Finally, get your gingerbread cookies (or other spiced cookies) and lay them down in neat rows on top of the cream to make a kind of crust. After you’re done, throw the entire thing in the freezer for at least four hours. When it’s done, take the dish out and turn it upside and your cake will be ready to eat!
As you can see, this recipe requires no baking or complicated mixing whatsoever—and it results in a delicious and creamy strawberry cake. The combination of flavors is sure to be a refreshing hit among all your party guests! The only thing worth mentioning with this recipe is that it requires you to work relatively quickly with cold ingredients. Make sure you do the ice cream filling step quickly and don’t leave your frozen cake out in the sun for too long! Otherwise, have fun with it and enjoy!
Have you given this recipe a shot? Let us know what you think in the comments.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Sweet and Savory
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
Fraisier glacé ! et son coeur ultra rafraîchissant :)
Posted by ChefClub on Wednesday, April 18, 2018