Though it probably goes without saying, potatoes are the most popular vegetable in the United States—and it’s easy to see why. They’re a very versatile ingredient packed with nutrients and flavor that can be prepared any number of ways, all of them delicious. Throughout your life, you’ve probably had fried potatoes, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes and baked potatoes, each one made just the way you like them. But today, we’re bringing you yet another way to eat America’s favorite vegetable.
What if you could mix the textures of several different ways of preparing potatoes into one delicious recipe? Fortunately, we have just the thing. This recipe for fully loaded mashed potato cakes are a fun new twist on a range of familiar flavors. These things have everything you need for a delicious potato recipe including cheese, spices and bacon. The outside of these little things gets so perfectly crispy while the inside keeps the creamy texture of mashed potatoes. So what are we waiting for? Let’s get started.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded mild cheddar sauce
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 strips of bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- sour cream (optional)
- ranch dressing (optional)
Here’s what you do:
1. To start, get a large mixing bowl and combine your mashed potatoes, cheese, bacon, flour, garlic powder, onions and an egg. Stir everything up to make sure it’s well-combined. Once it’s mixed, cover the bowl and throw it in the fridge for 15 minutes (or up to 24 hours if you’d like).
2. When you’re ready to cook them, bring the bowl out of the fridge and use an ice cream scoop (with a trigger handle, preferably) to scoop the mix out into two-inch balls. Shape each one into a patty using your hands, flattening them so that they’re about 1/3-inch thick. Next, fill a bowl with breadcrumbs and dip the patties in it so each one gets fully coated.
3. After that, get a non-stick or a cast iron pan and pour in your vegetable oil. Let it heat up over medium-high heat and drop your patties in. Cook each one for three to four minutes per side until they turn golden brown.
4. When they’re done, put the patties on a paper towel to dry off and to absorb some of the excess oil. Once they’re cool enough, dig in! Dip each one in sour cream or ranch dressing for some added flavor.
While we all have our own favorite ways to eat potatoes, this recipe is going on the shortlist of our favorites. The combination of textures and flavors hits all the requirements we need for a great potato recipe. Unlike normal baked or mashed potatoes, these patties can be eaten as a lighter snack rather than a full meal—after all, we all know what it feels like to be taken down by a loaded baked potato. As always, use this recipe as a guideline and innovate with your own spices and dips as you see fit. Happy cooking!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Sweet and Savory
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
Source: I Wash You Dry