With summer upon us, we all probably have a lot of family get togethers and backyard barbecues to plan for. Although these events are usually pretty low stress, there’s still the preparation of getting the baby pool out, wheeling out your grill from wherever it’s been hiding and of course planning for the delicious food you’ll make. Most backyard barbecues tend to feature the summer mainstays of hot dogs and burgers but a delicious dip can really take everything over the top.
Fortunately, we have a perfect recipe for you today that takes very little preparation and can be served right out of the container it’s cooked in. Although you’re probably used to seeing chips and dip put out at a party, you’ve probably never seen a dip as good as this one before. Today, we’re making a delicious cheesy sausage dip that comes complete with jalapeños and many other delicious ingredients. As an added bonus, all you have to do is throw some ingredients in a slow cooker and let it do its thing. So let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound of spicy breakfast sausage (browned and drained of grease)
- 1 pound of cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1 seeded and diced jalapeño
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
Here’s what you do:
1. To start, break your sausage up out of its package and throw it in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook everything through until it turns brown and then drain the fat out of it. Prepare your other ingredients as well by chopping up your cheese, dicing your onion and seeding and dicing your jalapeño.
2. Once your sausage is ready, pour that into a slow cooker along with your cheese, onion, jalapeño, salsa, milk, sour cream and seasonings. Stir everything up to make sure it’s all evenly combined.
3. Next, cover your slow cooker up and set it to cook on high for one and a half to two hours. Be sure to open it up and stir it every half hour.
4. After enough time has passed, open it up and give it a final check. If the dip is completely done, the cheese should be melted and the dip should be hot all the way through. If it’s ready, pop the slow cooker pot out, set it on a hot pad and serve it with some tortilla chips!
While this recipe couldn’t be easier to put together, the results are creamy, cheesy and delicious. As always, there are ways to tweak this recipe to make it your own and to switch up the flavor profile a little bit. For starters, if the addition of a jalapeño makes this seem too spicy, you can switch it out for a finely chopped bell pepper instead for just a little spice. On the other hand, through in a Serrano pepper if you want even more bite!
While the sausage is a delicious addition, bacon would also work well for all the bacon lovers out there. Finally, Velveeta is not the only cheese to go with, either. Try experimenting with some authentic queso fresco or some other cheese that melts easily. Above all, have fun with the process and tell us how it goes!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Sweet and Savory
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
Source: Cooktop Cove