Slow cookers can be used to make virtually any kind of recipe your heart might desire. If you’re looking for something without any fuss, sometimes a chili or a stew can be the way to go. If you want to make something a little sweeter, you might want to make a baked good or a pudding-style dessert of some kind. Though you can cook almost anything in these slow cookers, soup recipes are particularly under-appreciated.
Today, we have a delicious soup recipe for you today that’s unlike any soups you’ve probably had in the past. We’re going to make a stuffed pepper soup right in the slow cooker which packs plenty of flavor and a little bit of spice as well. Although it’s incredibly easy to make, the results are filling and you’re sure to have leftovers. So are you ready? Let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
Here’s what you do:
1. To get started, throw your beef in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook it until it browns all the way through. When it looks good, drain the extra fat out of it and keep two tablespoons of fat in it. Set the cooked beef aside.
2. After that, put your skillet back on the heat and add your chopped onions and cook them until they turn soft and translucent. Season it all with salt and pepper as well.
3. Next, pour your cooked onions and browned beef into the slow cooker and add your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, cooked rice and sliced bell peppers. Season the mix with oregano and basil as well, adding a bay leaf.
4. With everything combined, cover your slow cooker and let it cook on high for three hours or on low for six to eight hours.
5. When the time is up, open the slow cooker up and give it all a taste. Adjust the seasoning however you feel is appropriate. At the end, ladle the soup into bowls and serve it up while it’s hot!
As we said, this recipe is so easy to put together and ends up tasting delicious. While the name is a little bit misleading (it doesn’t actually have stuffed peppers in it), the end result packs all the delicious, sweet and spicy flavors of its namesake. Like all slow cooker recipes, all you have to do is set it and forget it.
Although the instructions above will definitely lead to great soup, there’s plenty of room within this recipe to innovate. Though the bell peppers are good for flavor, you could add some spicier chilis into the mix as well if you like a hotter soup than this one. If you want more veggies, throw those into the mix as well! No matter what you do, have fun with this recipe and let us know how it turns out.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Sweet and Savory
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
Source: 12 Tomatoes